The RV Ride

grammy nominated, hotel accomodated, cheerleader promdated, hardly ever updated

Tuesday, March 07, 2006

DIY PT & IRB

I turned in IRB today! For those of you who don't do human subjects speak, that mean 5 months and 25 pages of explaining to the ethics experts why my survey of attitudes towards secondhand smoke among residents of public housing is not going to leave respondents depressed/deceased/depraved/declawed/denounced/defunct. A week ago, when i realized today would be the day, I started to feel upbeat, weight lifted. However, now that I have actually mailed the beige envelope of my past and future toil, I am not as ecstatic. Bearing down on me is the long, dark follow-up of the soul. Sometime in mid-June i will be desperately trying to hit a 50% response rate for this survey, which will be a much bigger barrier than IRB because the IRB was in Engliah, not Somali. All this to say, if you like sane me, get her while you can - she's checking out in June and won't be back until UW dispenses her a degree.

Also today, we lost our second soccer game of the season, and our first where a score on ourselves wasn't the losing goal. I sit here rubbing my hamstring with a large-curl curling iron set to low because after 5 months of being injured, I still can't figure out how to heal. I came out of the game in the second half dreaming about an utltrasound machine, I could picture the machine in the UW PT office so clearly that I could almost feel its warm nub against my butt and leg. Ahhh, bliss. Necessity being the mother of invention that she is, when I got out of the shower and espied the curling iron hanging out in the bathroom cabinet, I conceived my DIY plan. And it's working. Back to bliss.

2 Comments:

At 2:12 AM, Blogger liz korb said...

Maybe not playing soccer would help the hammie heal. Spraining my ankle on the way to the PT was probably the best thing I could have done for my hamstring.

 
At 11:21 AM, Blogger d said...

Wow! Let me add to Liz's voice of reason: don't play Slog. Duh.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home