The RV Ride

grammy nominated, hotel accomodated, cheerleader promdated, hardly ever updated

Sunday, January 22, 2006

Prom Dress Magic

If you think wearing a prom dress to prom was exciting, try wearning one today, out to a party. i went to a costumish-party last night with two other prom queens and six cowgirls. Heads turned. My theory is that 98% of us all got pumped through the same spaghetti factory during our high school education. Prom happened to everyone one of us -- less as an event than as a set of ideas and expectations. People see you in a dress from 1997 and all that comes up again. However, my junior year of high school I was a tee-tottaler and I wore silver sandals instead of flip flops with my dress. I had also bothered to go out and get one of those tape on bras, which arose the continuous curiosity of my just-as-friends 6'7" date who kept looking down my dress to try to figure out what the heck was going on. There is a gleaming slick spot on the ceiling of my parents' family room where this date, along with my friend Lisa's (the one who had told me about stick-on bras) date had uncorked a rambunctious bottle of alcohol-free champange. After prom some of us came back to my house and took the purity test until another friend's date answered "no" to the question, "have you ever had an erection," at which point things got awkward.
Which is all to say, wearing a poofy yellow taffeta dress with rhinestones on the shoulders to an adult party last night was amazing. No silly theme to abide by (my senior year was, "My heart will go on," blech!), no "him" to worry about, no corsage to lose its pertness, and friends who actually know how to do an updo. All the frolic without the fuss, and as I am a fan of frolic and an enemy of fuss it did me well. Maybe I'll even put some pictures on my blog, who knows.

3 Comments:

At 12:05 PM, Blogger d said...

ms ross viles, you need to fix your blog. you've double posted the prom thing, and your links section says "Edit Me". (And since the first one is Google News, I know you havem't even looked at it).

More pictures of pretty Viva!

 
At 4:32 AM, Blogger liz korb said...

Ouch, Neva is attacking your blogging style. Not all of us know how to change the html (or whatever it is) code :-)

 
At 4:47 PM, Blogger Ducky said...

Two scoops RV! Dig deep and be an updater!! You can do it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home